Home > कानून नेपाल, Immigratoin Reform, Laws, Legal Development, Nepalese Students, Young Lawyers > Eight Ways to Get Denied, Banned, Detained or Deported from the U.S.

Eight Ways to Get Denied, Banned, Detained or Deported from the U.S.


These Common Immigration Mistakes Will Keep Your Feet Off U.S. Soil

A variety of circumstances can lead to a visa or green card denial, banning from the U.S., or deportation. Here are eight avoidable immigration mistakes you need to know about.

Immigration Mistake #1: Break the Law, or Become a Suspect

If you have had any trouble with the law, you may be:

a) Denied a visa or entry at ports and borders, if you have a criminal record in any country, or criminal charges pending outside the U.S.;

b) Detained in a U.S. jail if you have broken (or are suspected of breaking) a U.S. or international law;

c) Banned from entering the U.S. for a stipulated number of years, or forever, because of criminal convictions abroad or in the States;

d) Deported from the U.S. if you are found guilty of a “crime of moral turpitude,” or extradited if you face serious criminal charges abroad.

Immigration Mistake #2: Misrepresent Long-Term Reasons for Coming to the U.S.

When you apply for a visa, you must intend to use that visa for its official purpose. If you come to the U.S. as a visitor, intending to seek work or marry, that’s immigration fraud. In any case of misrepresentation you may be;

a) Denied U.S. entry, a visa, a green card or citizenship;

b) Detained at the border or port of entry;

c) Banned from the U.S.;

d) Deported if you fail to leave on your own when ordered to.

Entering with one intent, and later changing your mind is not illegal. But, for example, if you enter on a visitor visa and get married a week later, that is going to be highly suspect: Immigration officials will likely believe that you planned this all along, that it was not a spontaneous change of plans.

Immigration Mistake #3: Express Hostile Anti-American Sentiments

If you express hostile anti-American sentiments;
if you are vocally sympathetic towards terrorist groups; or,
if you are suspected of being violent or smuggling drugs, you could be:

a) Denied entry to a U.S.-bound flight, or to the U.S. upon arrival;

b) Banned from future entries to the U.S.;

c) Detained in a U.S. jail indefinitely if you are suspected of having terrorist ties;

d) Deported if the U.S. government determines that you are a danger to its citizens.

Just be aware that post 9/11/01, even seemingly harmless jokes about terrorism could lead to a lot of unnecessary questioning and stress. Use common sense. No bomb jokes. Unless of course you really are a criminal, in which case, please flaunt it.

Immigration Mistake #4: Enter the U.S. Illegally

If you have ever entered the U.S. by sneaking over the border or stowing away, you cannot gain legal status unless you a) marry a U.S. citizen and prove the relationship is legitimate, or b) the government grants you amnesty, refugee or asylum status.

If you enter the U.S. on a Crewman’s Visa, fail to depart with your vessel, and then remain in the U.S., not even marriage to a U.S. citizen will make you legal. Only a government amnesty or waiver would help you. You’d want to consult a lawyer.

Illegal crossers could be:

a) Denied a future visa or green card;

b) Banned from re-entering the U.S. for 5-10 years;

c) Detained within the U.S. for a removal hearing; and/or,

d) Deported if caught living in the States, even years later.

Immigration Mistake #5: Overstay Your Visa and I-94

If you stay in the U.S. longer than your Visa, I-94 and/or grace period (180 days after expiration) allow, you face:

a) Future denial of visas;

b) Bans from re-entry;

c) Detention and deportation as an illegal alien, unless you:

· Marry a U.S. citizen, based on a genuine, existing relationship and have a sponsor who will sign and qualify for an Affidavit of Support;

· Are granted a waiver for extenuating circumstances; or,

· Manage to qualify for Temporary Protected Status, Asylum or Refugee Status.

Immigration Mistake #6: Enter the U.S. Very Contagious, or Pregnant

If you arrive in the U.S. with a serious contagious illness, such as Tuberculosis, you may be:

a) Denied entry; or,

b) Detained in quarantine.

Pregnancy’s not an illness, but it does fall under “Health.” So if you’re pregnant, you may be:

a) Denied a visa or U.S. entry as student, worker or exchange visitor.

b) Denied if you’re from a country with excessive illegal immigration to the U.S. or

c) Denied if you enter the U.S. in your third trimester. (Why? Babies born in the U.S. are automatic citizens and the government tries to prevent visitors from taking advantage of this.)

As an aside, airlines will often refuse very pregnant women just because flight attendants prefer not to deliver babies at 30,000 feet.

Immigration Mistake #7: Lie on Your Application

Lying about anything on any visa, green card or citizenship application can result in:

a) Denial;

b) A ban; or,

c) Deportation

The lies taken most seriously aside from intent include those related to criminal records, war crimes, negative political affiliations and terrorist ties. But any lie can be used against you. If you’re afraid that the truth will have serious consequences, consult an attorney before you apply.

Immigration Mistake #8: Fail to Keep the USCIS Informed

Since 9/11 the USCIS has been more diligent about keeping track of:

· B and waiver Visitors;

· M and F Students;

· Temporary Workers;

· Adjustment of Status applicants;

· Green Card holders here for fewer than 10 years; and,

· Sponsors of those Green Card Holders
If the USCIS is unable to verify your status or reach you:

a) Your application could be denied; or,

b) Your visa revoked, which could ultimately lead to:

c) Detention, future denials and bans or deportation for being an illegal alien.

  1. March 9, 2008 at 6:14 am



    I will get back to you soon.

  2. April 13, 2008 at 5:39 am

    I have b1/b2 visa,5 times i traveled u.s.a. then my 6th trip they didnt gave me permission to enter
    u.s.a at philadelphia airport,because they told me at 4th trip u stay
    8 month(i have 3 month visa) .
    > And that day they returned me at night to india and
    banned me for 5 years.Than what we do for this problem.Please help us
    and advice me.
    > Thanking You.

  3. nayan
    April 17, 2008 at 1:32 am

    my wife have b1/b2 visa.
    mow she has pragnent from since last 5 months. can we born baby in usa

  4. independentlyowned
    August 28, 2009 at 3:37 pm

    Great blog! I’ve recently traveled abroad and know how difficult for people in some countries to get visas to the US just to visit. I have a question about #3 though. What consists of a “hostile anti-American sentiment”? I can imagine obvious things such as terrorist threats, but would, for example, someone threatening a US citizen be enough to deny them access? Thanks!

  5. January 4, 2010 at 2:28 pm

    Thanks for the compliment. Anything threatening the national security must have to go through strict scrutiny.

  6. patrick
    April 4, 2011 at 10:57 pm

    I am in the middle of a divorce and my soon to be x is in trouble with cps can she get deported for that? Plus she was forging my name to my checks and signing her name to them even though she isn’t an authorized signer. help please.

  7. twj5662
    April 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

    patrick :
    I am in the middle of a divorce and my soon to be x is in trouble with cps can she get deported for that? Plus she was forging my name to my checks and signing her name to them even though she isn’t an authorized signer. help please.

    Tell your bank that someone if forging checks and show them the checks they will be happy to help press charges againt her if she can not return the money she took. She can not sign your name to your checks and cash them for her own greed . Bust her and show her how it should be.

  8. July 23, 2012 at 10:48 am

    1)what is the car that banned to enter to usa
    and 2) how much the suzuki maruti in your contry

  9. February 25, 2013 at 10:01 pm

    Hey there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

  10. July 28, 2013 at 8:41 am

    Ok my friend is came in USA with worst visa which is c1d or visas for crew member. He did not go to the ship and he overstayed for 4 years. When he get out of the country he did not return I94. Very soon after that he applied for a touristic visa and he got at visa for 10 years. So I would like to know how is that possible because i am in the same situation, i did not return my I94 and i am planing to apply for a touristic visa, is anybody could tell me what would be my chance to go back there? Thanks.

  11. Alexis
    July 12, 2016 at 5:46 am

    I have a c1d visa and work on a cruise ship. Before coming to the us for work I had been talking to an American guy. A few weeks after I started working in the us he decided to meet me at one of my ports. He then proposed. I went back to work because i never had intentions of not completing my work tour and returning to the u.s. my fiance plan was to either apply for my fiance visa or get married one day when I was at the port and apply for my spouse visa after I returned to the philippines when my work term was completed. I never intended to jump ship but my employer thinks I will and now is threatening deportation. This will ruin our chances of a future together won’t it?

  1. September 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: