Nepal Army major flees US training base after beating wife


WASHINGTON DC, Dec 15: A Nepalese army major, who has been attending military training at Quantico, has been accused of severely beating his wife and has since fled that Marine Corps base in Virginia with the couple´s two children, according to court documents filed in Alexandria´s federal court.

Maj. Govinda Shahi is in the United States attending the Marines´ Expeditionary Warfare School, Quantico spokesman Capt. Patrick Boyce said. The nine-month program trains officers in combined arms operations, tactical decision making and amphibious operations.

// //

A warrant has been issued for Shahi´s arrest and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service is coordinating with the Nepalese Embassy to find and bring Shahi in, Boyce said. Calls to the embassy for this story were not returned.

The expeditionary training is designed for Marine Corps captains, but also regularly includes military officers from other countries, Boyce said. Their inclusion is meant to foster international relationships while also helping U.S. allies develop tactical procedures.

Boyce said he did not know when Shahi started the program, but he has been at Quantico for at least six weeks, according to court documents. During that time Shahi´s wife reportedly told an NCIS agent that Shahi beat her regularly.

Military police were called to Shahi´s residence on the base Monday, responding to domestic violence complaints, court documents said. Once there, Shahi´s wife, Jagat Malla, informed officers that Shahi had injured her foot by stomping on it with his military boot.

Malla was taken to an area hospital, where doctors diagnosed her with a ruptured spleen, multiple bruises and a partially healed broken nose and ankle, authorities said. Her damaged spleen had resulted in significant blood loss and she required a blood transfusion.

According to court document, Malla told an NCIS agent that over the past month-and-a-half, Shahi had beaten her with his fists, feet and a stick.

Shahi was taken into custody on Monday, released Tuesday to his military unit representative and ordered to return to work the next morning, authorities said. But Tuesday night, a neighbor called military police saying Shahi had just packed his children, ages 10 and 5, into his car and driven away. He did not report to work on Wednesday.

Boyce declined to say whether NCIS knows of Shahi´s whereabouts. Shahi was last seen driving a silver Hyundai Sonata with Virginia license plates XNJ5510, according to court records.

Published on 2009-12-15 08:39:07